BY KATHERINE HARVEY
NAUSET REGIONAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
The Book Bowl is a reading competition in which teams of 3-5 students participate in a question-and-answer challenge based on 15 selected book titles. Competitions will take place on Book Bowl Day to select a winning team. The playoffs between the finalist teams will take place in the auditorium in the afternoon.
We want to encourage all students to participate, joining a Book Bowl team is a serious commitment. Each team of 3, 4, or 5 students is responsible for reading a group of 15 selected books, some of which are lengthy and/or challenging. This year’s Bowl will be on January 20, 2014. This means that teams have 10 weeks (including two vacation weeks) to read and study the books. They must then answer questions read by a group of outside adult volunteers in a competitive format.
How will the project be evaluated (e.g. how will you gauge its success)?
The success is determined by the excitement and the number of students who voluntarily sign-up up participate each year.
Benefit to the students and the school:
- Making sure the team chooses an appropriate name and creates a T-shirt design.
- Keeping track of books read by team members.
- Making sure every book is read by at least one team member.
- Meeting with the team regularly to be sure all team members are reading, and with your language arts teacher weekly to check on reading progress.
- Books will be taken out for one week only. Only one book title per person may be taken out at a time. Team members may borrow as soon as their team is signed up.
- Each team must return or pay for all books before the Book Bowl takes place, or they will not be allowed to participate.
Budget (Please detail how funding will be used. Itemize as appropriate.)
Most of the budget would be spent on purchasing new books. Each year 15 new book titles, with 15 copies per title.(200.00)
Budget would also help to; give each participants will be awarded certificates of achievement.(25.00)
Providing Each student on a team participating in the final round a $10.00 gift certificate to a local book store. (150.00)
Provide winning team medals. (50.00)
Providing a reward party for the three finalist teams. (75.00)
Timeline of Project (when will you do the project, if applicable.)
This project happens yearly. It begins in October and ends in January.